So about me:
Basics -- we live in a small city in southern Ontario, Canada. I rent a house (because I refuse to own), and we live comfortably, though not luxuriously by Western standards, with a yard, a home, and a minivan. No pets, no pests, and a gorgeous deck to relax on.
I'm a woman who's seen a lot and done a lot of things, good and bad. Lots to regret but lots more that I treasure. This blog is part personal journal, part business building tool, part resource for those who may be or are going to be in the same situation I have been.
- I'm a Christian. I may not have all the answers, and I'm definitely not perfect. I don't like organized church much, and I struggle a lot with current theology. But I love Jesus, and I know He loves me, and I try to trust Him with the details. For more on that, go here.
- I'm a mother of five (5!) gorgeous, talented, adorable, incredible princesses, currently preteen to preschooler. Having a large, closely-spaced family is challenging, loud and very fun. For my philosophy on parenting, try this post.
- I'm a homeschooler, teaching my girls at home, using a combination of unit studies, lapbooks, living books and yes, even a few workbooks. We love books around here, so much so, that I keep running out of shelves! But for a book-lover like us, there's never "too many books" just not enough shelves. For help in homeschooling, start here.
- I'm divorced. My marriage's birth and death are detailed in my blog. Start here for the beginning of that story. In short, I met him in 2006. We were married in 2008. We were separated due to violence in 2010. We tried a reconciliation in 2011. We separated again in 2013. The divorce was final in 2014.
- I'm a special needs mom. My 2nd daughter has sensory processing disorder, developmental delays and is possibly on the autism spectrum (though at the time of this writing, that is still not official). It's been a long journey, many specialists, therapists, tests and assessments, and that will probably continue. Start here for the details of our experiences.
- I'm a researcher. I have a unique mind for trivia and making connections. My friends, family and circle of acquaintances know me as the go-to person for just about any question they might have, from parenting to politics. My nickname has often been a "walking encyclopedia". I'm now in the process of figuring out how to monetize this ability, so stay tuned for details. In the meantime, feel free to contact me here if you have a question, and I'll get back to you with an answer (and an invoice, lol!).
Who I am and what I do grows and changes as my family does. It's a never-ending story. Hang on -- we're still getting started.